Serve It Right Saskatchewan (SIRS)
Serve It Right Saskatchewan (SIRS) is the official provincial responsible service of alcohol program. It provides consistent training for the sale and service of alcohol, helping commercial permitees and their employees to ensure that alcohol-related activities are conducted with integrity and in a socially responsible manner.
Responsible Service is Smart Customer Service
Why you need Serve It Right Saskatchewan (SIRS)
This course is mandatory for everyone involved in the sale and service of alcohol.
The Government of Saskatchewan requires server intervention training for employees involved in the sale and service of alcohol. Serve It Right Saskatchewan is the official server intervention training program for Saskatchewan.
Who needs to take SIRS
Everyone involved in the sale and service of alcohol must have completed SIRS. This includes:
- employees, including
- door staff ("bouncers")
Who doesn't need to take SIRS
Unpaid volunteers working at an event operating under a Special Occasion Permit do not need to take SIRS.
The Special Occasions Permit online course is for volunteers who serve and sell alcohol at public special occasions only. This course does not allow you to sell alcohol in a retail setting or to serve alcohol in bars and restaurants.
If you are selling or serving alcohol in a liquor permitted establishment, such as a commercial bar or restaurant, as part of your job, you must complete Serve It Right Saskatchewan (SIRS).
Transferring a course from another province (Reciprocity)
If you completed a server intervention training certificate from another province within the past five years, you may transfer your certification to Saskatchewan.
To transfer your certification, please do the following:
- If you do not already have a learning account with us, please take a moment to register a new account before you begin. We will need your Registration # so that we can provide your SIRS certificate.
- Send us a copy or photograph of the certificate you received from another province. If you photograph your printed certificate, please make sure details such as your name, the province where the certificate was issued and the date are clearly visible. Email the copy or photograph to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please copy your learning account Registration # and include it in your email. You will find your Registration # under "Account" in the menu on the left side of your screen when you sign in.
When we receive your email, we will assign your SIRS certificate using the Registration # you provided above. You will receive an email notification when your SIRS certificate is available. Look for "SIRS Reciprocity" in your Learning Plan. You can sign in to view or download a copy of your SIRS certificate whenever you need to.
Your server intervention certificate is valid for five years from the date you last completed your training. This means that the expiry date on your SIRS certificate will be five years after the date shown on the out-of-province certificate that you provided.
If you have any questions, please contact us:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - noon
1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Telephone 306-933-5900 or
We are closed on Saskatchewan statutory holidays.
Liquor permittees may be required to provide proof that they are in compliance with the legislation by producing a list of employees who have completed server intervention training. A SIRS Compliance Form is provided courtesy of Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority to aid businesses and organizations in their record keeping.
What is involved in taking SIRS
The SIRS course includes:
- ways to identify intoxication
- handling situations involving minors
- effective approaches to discontinue or refuse to sell or serve alcohol
- understanding your legal responsibilities and liabilities
Once you purchase the course, you will have 45 days to complete it online. You should be able to complete the course in six hours or less. There is a 35-question multiple choice online exam at the end of the course. To pass the exam, a mark of 80% must be achieved. You will have five attempts to complete the exam.
Upon successful completion of the course, your certificate is available for you to download from your online profile. Please save or print your certificate so that you can show it to your employer or a liquor inspector as proof of completion.
SIRS is supported and endorsed by:
- Hospitality Saskatchewan
- Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI)
- Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority (SLGA)
- Saskatchewan Ministry of Health
- Tourism Saskatchewan
- Wines and Spirits Association of Saskatchewan
- Restaurants Canada
- RCMP and law enforcement agencies in Saskatchewan
Take SIRS Online now
Already have an account?
Sign in to:
- continue your learning plan
- complete your exam
- download your SIRS certificate
Tourism training workshops and online courses are delivered through the Tourism Saskatchewan Learning Management System (LMS), stec.skillbuilder.co. Links to the LMS open in a new window.