Responsible Gaming for VLT Site Operators in Saskatchewan is a training program for VLT site operators and staff who have any involvement with video lottery terminals (VLTs) at their place of work. The program helps VLT site operators and their staff understand the differences between responsible and problem gambling, the myths associated with gambling, and how to provide information to players seeking help.
There is no cost for training.
What topics are covered?
In this course, you will learn about:
- Responsible gambling - what it is and how VLT site operators and their staff can promote healthy attitudes towards gambling
- Problem gambling and some of the signs of gambling addiction
- The words and actions that tend to reinforce the gambler's myths that lead to unhealthy behaviours and how to avoid their use, and
- Programs and services that are available to help reduce the incidence of problem gambling.
Who needs to take Responsible Gaming for VLT Site Operators
It is mandatory that at least one owner or site manager complete this training. In the case of corporate ownership, the owner must be an officer, director, or shareholder with 20% or more of the shares. Lotteries and Gaming Saskatchewan (LGS) encourages participation by additional staff members as well.
When selecting the participant(s) for a site, it is important to understand that if the trained owner or manager permanently leaves the site, LGS will require another individual complete the training.
Certification is valid for a period of five years.
What is involved in taking Responsible Gaming for VLT Site Operators
Step 1: Create your account or log in to an existing account
- If you have previously taken Responsible Gaming for VLT Site Operators, or training such as Serve It Right Saskatchewan (SIRS), CannaSell SK or another course delivered by Tourism Saskatchewan, then you already have an account and you only need to sign in to begin. If you forgot your Username or Password, use the link to reset your password or contact Tourism Saskatchewan for assistance.
- If this is your first time using the training site, start by clicking the "Create Account" link on the sign in page.
- To ensure your VLT training is accurately credited to you, it is imperative that you select your establishment (organization) from the drop down menu when creating your account. Be sure to select the name as indicated in the communication you received from LGS.
- When creating a new account, be sure to provide your job title or position with your registration.
Step 2: Select your training
- Once you are signed in to your existing account or new account, add your training.
- Add Responsible Gaming for VLT Site Operators to your shopping cart.
- Click on the shopping cart icon at the top right of your screen, then follow the online instructions to complete your checkout.
- If you are taking the course for yourself, choose "This purchase is for me". If you want to acquire additional courses to assign to your employees, choose "This purchase is for others".
- Select the organization name that is listed on your liquor license. If you are taking this for personal interest only, select “I am not associated with an organization”.
- The course is free of charge. You do not need a credit card if this is the only course in your shopping cart.
Step 3: Complete your training
- Go to your account Learning Plan to begin your course.
- Select the course to begin.
- You can pause your course at any time and return to it later. Simply return to your Learning Plan and select the course to resume where you left off.
- The course will take approximately one hour to complete.
- There is a 15-question multiple choice online exam at the end of the course. To pass the exam, a mark of 80% must be achieved. You will have three attempts to complete the exam. You must pass the final exam to receive credit for completing the course.
Upon successful completion of the course, your certificate is available for you to download from your online profile. Please save or print your certificate for your records as proof of completion.